Popular Exhibits At The Moma
The MoMA has more than 200,000 works of contemporary art in their collections, although only a portion of those are on display at any given time. They also offer frequent special exhibitions that showcase specific elements of the collection, or items on loan from other places.
Some of the highlights of their collection include:
- Vincent van Gogh, The Starry Night
- Pablo Picasso, Les Demoiselles dAvignon
- Salvador Dali, The Persistence of Memory
- Frida Kahlo, Self-Portrait with Cropped Hair
- Roy Lichtenstein, Drowning Girl
- Claude Monet, Water Lilies
- Andy Warhol, Campbells Soup Cans
- Henri Matisse, The DanceI
- Umberto Boccioni, The Dynamism of a Soccer Player
Other strengths of the collection include work by Andrew Wyeth, Jackson Pollock, René Magritte, Jasper Johns, Paul Gauguin, and many others.
Special Membership Offer For Moma Visitors
Apply the full price of your admission ticket toward a new MoMA membership! Just present your MoMA admission ticket within seven days of your visit at the lobby Member Services desk or at the MoMA stores. If youre unable to present your ticket in person, please call 999-8861 during regular business hours for assistance. Limit one ticket per cardholder.
Frequently Asked Questions And Answers
What are the best high end stores?
These are the best high end stores near New York, NY:
People also liked:
What did people search for similar to shopping near 11 W 53rd St, New York, NY 10019?
People also searched for these near New York:
What are people saying about shopping near 11 W 53rd St, New York, NY 10019?
This is a review for shopping near 11 W 53rd St, New York, NY 10019:
“It would be nice if they actually had a proper size selection for one of their flagship stores but of course they don’t. Shopping for mens pants is frustrating due to sizes constantly being out of stock. Read other reviews for their customer service in regards to returns, that’s a headache in and of itself.”
What are the best hipster stores?
These are the best hipster stores near New York, NY:
You May Like: San Francisco Museums California Academy Of Sciences
Popular Exhibits At The Met
The Met is the largest museum in the United States, with more than 2 million works in its permanent collections. Its hard to pull out a few highlights of individual pieces, so this comparison will focus on their exhibit galleries and their most famous collections.
- Egyptian Art: Features everything from jewelry to mummies to a real tomb.
- Arts of Africa, Oceania, and the Americas: Includes 40,000-year-old indigenous rock paintings from Australia.
- Asian Art: Chinese calligraphy and painting, Indian sculptures, and a Ming Dynasty garden court replica are standouts of this collection.
- European Paintings: These galleries are among the most visited, and include artists such as Vermeer, Peter Paul Rubens, Jan van Eyck, Paul Cézanne, El Greco, and more.
- Arms & Armor: This is a perennial favorite, featuring full suits of armor and swords.
- The American Wing: From decorative arts to sculpture to paintings, this is a large section of the museum.
- Greek and Roman Art: An excellent collection of sculpture, domestic pieces like vases or jewelry, and funerary pieces, among many others.
Other important areas of acquisition for the Met include Islamic Art, photographs, textiles, drawings and prints, musical instruments, and more. And while their sister institutions host most of the modern art and medieval art, there are some representations of those fields here, too.
Women Artists Visibility Event
On June 14, 1984 the Women Artists Visibility Event , a demonstration of 400 women artists, was held in front of the newly renovated Museum of Modern Art to protest the lack of female representation in its opening exhibition, “An International Survey of Recent Painting and Sculpture.” The exhibition featured 165 artists only 14 of which those were women.
Don’t Miss: West Hartford Children’s Museum
Moma Has Two Locations In Midtown Manhattan And Queens
SunFri, 10:30 a.m.5:30 p.m.Sat, 10:30 a.m.7:00 p.m.
Open today, 10:30 a.m.3:00 p.m.
Members enjoy exclusive viewing opportunities through January 2: TueSun, 9:3010:30 a.m. Mon, 9:30 a.m.1:00 p.m.
UNIQLO Free Friday Nights are suspended as part of our health and safety protocols. The Museum closes at 5:30 p.m. on Fridays.
Both locations are closed for Thanksgiving and Christmas MoMA PS1 is also closed on New Years Day.
11 West 53 Street, Manhattan
65 and over with ID
Tickets include admission to all galleries and special exhibitions.
COVID-19 vaccination and masks are required for all visitors. Learn more about visiting us safely.
See our discounts page for more on free admission categories, including select colleges, staff of other museums, and active military. Parking discounts are also available.
Admission is free for a caregiver accompanying a visitor with a disability.
Our checkroom is closed. Scooters, skateboards, rolling bags, and all items over 11 × 17 × 5 are not permitted in the Museum.
The Museum Of Modern Art
The main branch of the MoMA is located at 11 West 53rd Street, in Midtown Manhattan. Its south of Central Park, right near the bustling neighborhood of Times Square. Its very close to other popular attractions like the Top of the Rock, Radio City Music Hall, Madame Tussauds, and the exhibits at Discovery Times Square.
Recommended Reading: What Time Does The 9 11 Museum Open
Louisiana X Ferm Living
In collaboration with the Danish design brand ferm LIVING, we are happy to present the Rico Lounge Chair and 2-Seater in a new exclusive woven fabric, which with stripes in black and sand is inspired by Louisianas iconic architecture, and reflects the pervasive wooden slats and black window frames that are characteristic of the museums North Wing in particular.
With a soft, inviting look combined with clear, graphic lines in the textile, the Rico chair and sofa is a contemporary update of classic, organic design. Available only in our shop at the museum, Louisianas webshop and in ferm LIVING Boutique in Copenhagen.
Rico 2-Seater DKK 21.999 / price for members DKK 19.799Rico Lounge Chair DKK 12.999 / price for members DKK 11.699
Tips For The Visiting The Moma
- The admissions line is actually the longest first thing in the morning at the MoMA, so consider coming around 11:30 am.
- Save on admission to the MoMA with a New York City Explorer Pass, and get your MoMA tickets included.
- Download the MoMA audio app to make the most of your visit.
- The MoMA also offers family tours and workshops, as well as activity stations in select galleries and short films. Most kid-friendly activities are included with general admission.
- Consider dining at the museum if you have time in your itinerary. In addition to the more casual museum-style dining options Café 2 and Terrace 5, the MoMA also boasts The Modern, a two Michelin star restaurant.
- Because of their free admission offer on Friday evenings, Fridays between 4 and 8 are some of the busiest times to visit. Consider visiting another time to avoid the crowds.
- Their gift shop does have an online storefront, but they do not sell all of the same things online as they do in person. Keep this in mind when souvenir hunting!
Don’t Miss: Museum Of Science Body Exhibit
Heckscher And Other Buildings
The idea for the Museum of Modern Art was developed in 1929 primarily by Abby Aldrich Rockefeller and two of her friends, Lillie P. Bliss and . They became known variously as “the Ladies” or “the adamantine ladies”. They rented modest quarters for the new museum in the Heckscher Building at 730 Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, and it opened to the public on November 7, 1929, nine days after the Wall Street Crash. Abby Rockefeller had invited A. Conger Goodyear, the former president of the board of trustees of the Albright Art Gallery in Buffalo, New York, to become president of the new museum. Abby became treasurer. At the time, it was America’s premier museum devoted exclusively to modern art, and the first of its kind in Manhattan to exhibit European modernism. One of Rockefeller’s early recruits for the museum staff was the noted Japanese-American photographer Soichi Sunami , who served the museum as its official documentary photographer from 1930 until 1968.
During that time the museum initiated many more exhibitions of noted artists, such as the lone Vincent van Gogh exhibition on November 4, 1935. Containing an unprecedented sixty-six oils and fifty drawings from the Netherlands, as well as poignant excerpts from the artist’s letters, it was a major public success due to Barr’s arrangement of the exhibit, and became “a precursor to the hold van Gogh has to this day on the contemporary imagination”.
Officers And The Board Of Trustees
Currently, the board of trustees includes 46 trustees and 15 life trustees. Even including the board’s 14 “honorary” trustees, who do not have voting rights and do not play as direct a role in the museum, this amounts to an average individual contribution of more than $7 million. The Founders Wall was created in 2004, when MoMA’s expansion was completed, and features the names of actual founders in addition to those who gave significant gifts about a half-dozen names have been added since 2004. For example, Ileana Sonnabend‘s name was added in 2012, even though she was only 15 when the museum was established in 1929.
You May Like: How To Become An Art Museum Curator
Museum Of Modern Art Store New York Stock Photos And Images
Thinking About Visiting The Met Vs The Moma
Fortunately for you, Metropolitan Museum of Art tickets and Museum of Modern Art tickets are both options on the New York City Explorer Pass®. Save on these and other top NYC attractions vs. paying at the gate. If youre a big art buff, other great art museums in New York include the Whitney Museum of American Art, the Guggenheim Museum, the two sister museums of the Met , and more. Get admission to some or all of these top museums with the New York City Explorer Pass!
Don’t Miss: World’s Largest Toy Museum Branson
Still Like Air I’ll Rise
Video: Noel Woodford
New York has seen a lot of different versions of myself. And what can be more home than that?
You’re not a real New Yorker until this city has seen you cry, yell, fall in love, fall on your ass, and fall asleep on the train at 2 a.m. Tatyana Fazladah takes us on a walk through Bed Stuy, Brooklyn to show us the block that has SEEN her.
Tatyana collaborated with Nanibah Chacon and Layqa Nuna Yawar on a participatory mural project, After the Fire, which comes to life on our Courtyard walls in just a few weeks!
Black Trans Liberation: Power and Purpose at MoMA PS1 on 16 Aug, 2021. Photo: Noel Woodford
Black Trans Liberation founder Qween Jean led a closing event for the Homeroom activation Black Trans Liberation: Memoriam and Deliverance. The afternoon included a panel discussion with Black trans leaders Ms. Ceyenne Doroshow, Tahtianna Fermin, Gia Love, Devin Michael Lowe, Raquel Willis, B. Hawk Snipes, and Marquise Vilsón Balenciaga. Following the discussion, Qween Jean held space on Rashid Johnsons Stage to mark the closing.
To be clear: you’re DEFINITELY fcking up your salad. But you won’t find any in our next Cooking with Artists. C. Spencer Yeh explores noise, embodiment, and experimentation as entry points into the fine art of Taiwanese fried chicken.
Grab the recipe and read the full conversation with Mina Stone, Chef and owner of Mina’s restaurant in MoMA magazine below. And for goodness sake, bring napkins.
The Metropolitan Museum Of Art Vs The Museum Of Modern Art
New York City is home to some of the greatest art museums in the entire world. Period. But if you only have time and space in your NYC vacation to visit one, how do you choose between the two biggies the Metropolitan Museum of Art vs the Museum of Modern Art? To help you compare these two prestigious art museums, weve put together a post that showcases their similarities and differences in the following areas:
- Whats Included with General Admission
- Tips for Visiting
You May Like: Chicago Public Library Museum Pass
Tips For Visiting The Met
- While the Met did previously offer admission by suggested donation, this has now shifted to a concrete admission fee. Pick up a New York Explorer Pass and your Met tickets will be included.
- The Met is the busiest around lunchtime and afterward, so plan to visit as early in the day as possible. Budget in 2-3 hours to explore .
- Be sure to plan ahead! Consult the museum map and plan out what you want to see in advance. Its a massive space and youll really need at least a rough idea of what youre hoping to see.
- The Met also offers late nights on Fridays and Saturdays, if your travel plans leave you some extra time in the evening.
- Periodic events, specialized tours, and kids activities are also a popular part of the full Met experience! Look over the events calendar before your visit to see whats on. Events may incur an additional cost.
- If you liked something in the gift shop, keep in mind that it may not be available online.
- Head to the Met’s hidden gem of a rooftop, The Cantor Roof Garden Bar, for sweeping views of the New York City skyline and an afternoon refreshment.
- Check out our detailed visitor’s guide to the Metropolitan Museum of Art for more information.
The Met General Admission
- All regular exhibitions including Egyptian Art, Arms & Armor, European Paintings, and much more.
- Admission to the Met Breuer and Met Cloisters for three consecutive days.
- All temporary and special exhibitions, unless otherwise indicated.
- Access to the dining and shopping options.
- Children age 12 and under get free admission.
Read Also: Museum Of Dinosaurs And Ancient Cultures
The Moma General Admission
- All regular exhibitions including their famed collections of photographs and paintings.
- All temporary and special exhibitions, unless otherwise indicated.
- Access to the dining and shopping venues.
- Children age 16 and under get free admission.
- Timed tickets are now required – MoMA will issue a ticket for the next available time slot.
The Best Museum Stores For Online Shopping
HuffPost may receive a share from purchases made via links on this page. Prices and availability subject to change.
Even if your legs are tired from a tour, your eyes need a break from all those paintings and your phones out of storage, you probably just have to see the gift shop before leaving a museum.
While museum gift shops have the usual T-shirts and mugs with logos, they also are a gold mine for one-of-a-kind gifts that you cant find anywhere else.
Right now, you might be missing going to museums as most of them across the country and around the world have closed due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. UNESCO estimates that 90% of museums globally have shut their doors.
Its especially important to support museums now in whatever way you can whether that includes taking an online tour like the Metropolitan Museum of Art offers, getting an annual membership to somewhere like the Museum of Modern Art, or, of course, spending money with a museums gift store.
If you didnt know, there are a lot of museums that have online gift stores now that you can shop at while staying on your couch and get some good quarantine birthday gift ideas for adults, while youre at it.
Check out these museum gift shops that you can shop online:
Also Check: Mummy Exhibit Museum Of Natural History
The Moma Was Founded By Three Women
- Abby Aldrich Rockefeller seated at her desk Abby Aldrich Rockefeller 1922 Photographic Archive. The Museum of Modern Art Archives, New York
- Lillie P. Bliss Lillie P. Bliss c. 1924 Rona Roob Papers, II.C.3. The Museum of Modern Art Archives, New York
The MoMA is one of the most important art museums in New York City and was the citys first museum dedicated to modern art. So it may come as a bit of a surprise that it was founded not by wealthy men like J.P. Morgan but by three women. Abby Aldrich Rockefeller, Lillie P. Bliss, and Mary Quinn Sullivan decided over lunch in 1928 to create a museum focused on modern art, inspired by European institutions like the Musée du Luxembourg in Paris.
Less than a year later, the Museum of Modern Art opened on the 12th floor of a Fifth Avenue office building. The museum relied on donations, as there was no money for purchases. The first works to join the collection were eight prints and drawings donated by Paul J. Sachs. When Lillie P. Bliss died, she bequeathed her collection of Post-Impressionist works, many of which still hang in the museum today.
The Metropolitan Museum Of Art
The Met is located at 1000 Fifth Avenue, on the east side of Central Park. Its in the neighborhood known as the Upper East Side and is across the park from the American Museum of Natural History . It is also only a couple of blocks south of the Guggenheim Museum, for you art lovers out there. This area is also known as Manhattans Museum Mile.
Recommended Reading: National Museum Of Natural History