Fun Things To Do In Denver With Toddlers
- Post author
We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Denver is a fun, family-friendly city which is easy to get to from nearly anywhere in the United States. With so many things to do in Denver with toddlers, the capital of Colorado is one of the best places to visit in the U.S. for families.
Whether youre a tourist looking for fun things to do for kids or a native with bored children in the house during vacation, this guide lists the 13 best Denver activities for kids and the best things to do in Denver with toddlers.
Greet The Fish At The Downtown Aquarium
Ocean life is a fascinating marvel, not just for kids but for people of all ages. Denvers Downtown Aquarium boasts a 50,000-gallon centerpiece aquarium with floor-to-ceiling views of more than 500 species.
Admire the aquatic creatures in action while enjoying upscale-casual dining at the aquariums restaurant or opt for the interactive stingray exhibit to feed these flat sharks.
Thats not all the aquarium also offers other adventurous activities, such as thrilling rides like the Aquarium Express or the Aquatic Carousel.
2022 Scfd Free Days At Your Favorite Venues
Colorado residents can enjoy FREE DAYS at some of our area’s most popular destinations, thanks to SCFD funding as well as state and corporate sponsorship.
Free Days are for general admission special events and exhibitions may still require the purchase of a ticket.
Venues may be operating under limited capacity for all guests and advance reservations may be required. We encourage you to check back before every free day for the latest recommendations. Dates are subject to change without notice.
Families who receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits can visit select venues anytime throughout the year and pay just $1 per person when they show their EBT card. Admission can not be paid with the EBT card it is simply proof of program participation.
Venues offering $1 admission for SNAP recipients are the Children’s Museum of Denver at Marsico Campus, Denver Botanic Gardens, Denver Museum of Nature & Science, and History Colorado Center.
MCA Denver offers admission for 1¢ on the first Saturday of the month to Colorado residents. Children 18 years and younger are free EVERY day of the year!
Additionally, you can request free passes for a variety of area museums through the Adventure Pass Program offered by our Douglas County Libraries. Passes are for general admission for a specific day and are very limited in quantity.
Recommended Reading: Parking Near Museum Of Illusions Nyc
Free Days At Denver Museum Of Nature & Science
Any day is a good day to explore the Denver Museum of Nature & Science. Throughout the year the museum holds many free days, along with special member pricing and discounts. Located beside the Denver Zoo, this world-class nature and science museum provides interactive exhibits for all ages.
Free Admission at DMNS:
Denver Free Days 2022
- Monday, January 3 Denver Museum of Nature & Science
- Wednesday, January 5 Buffalo Bill Museum and Grave
- Tuesday, January 11 Denver Art Museum
- Friday, January 15 Four Mile Historic Park
- Monday, January 17 Denver Botanic Gardens
- Monday, January 17 National Park Admission is free for Martin Luther King Jrs Birthday
- Thursday, January 20 Denver Botanic Gardens Plains Conservation Center
- Thursday, January 20 Clyfford Still Museum
- Saturday, January 22 Denver Zoo*
- Saturday, January 22 Denver Art Museum
- Sunday, January 23 Denver Museum of Nature & Science
- Tuesday, January 25 Tickets will go on sale for Rattlesnake Kate and In the Upper Room at the Denver Center for Performing Arts for as low as $10 each.
- Saturday, January 29 Denver Museum of Nature & Science
- Wednesday, February 2 Buffalo Bill Museum and Grave
- Sunday, February 6 Denver Zoo*
- Monday, February 7 Denver Museum of Nature & Science
- Tuesday, February 8 Denver Art Museum
- Friday, February 11 Four Mile Historic Park
- Saturday. February 12 Denver Firefighters Museum
- Tuesday, February 15 Clyfford Still Museum
- Thursday, February 17 Denver Botanic Gardens
- Monday, February 21 National Parks entrance is free because of Presidents Day
- Sunday, February 27 Denver Museum of Nature & Science
Snow Days debuts at the Denver Childrens Museum: 8 must-see attractions.
Don’t Miss: Tickets To Titanic Museum Pigeon Forge
Be Wowed By A Light Show In A Church
Beyond Light Show & Meditation is an immersive experience that will have your jaw dropping to the floor. The one-hour show includes projection-mapped laser lights and other art experiences by world-famous artists, all of which take place inside the International Church of Cannabis.
The tour is entirely family-friendly and suitable for all ages. The church even provides stroller accessibility. Beyond Light Show & Meditation is a one-in-a-kind experience combining visual and audio art with soothing music and guided meditation.
What Are Scfd Free Days
Organizations across Denverfrom the Denver Museum of Nature & Science to our neighbors at the Clyfford Still Museumprovide hundreds of free days and free programs throughout the year. These days are made possible, in part, by funding from the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District .
SCFD is a voter-approved special district in the seven-county metro area that provides a stable source of supplemental funding to more than 300 scientific and cultural organizations inside the district’s boundaries.
Read Also: Musical Instrument Museum Scottsdale Arizona
Free And Discount Days
Part of our mission is to provide an accessible, positive learning environment for all children and families, regardless of their economic situation. Our Plan-Ahead Pricing structure offers a range of pricing options for visitors who plan ahead. You can save up to 25% when you buy at least 2 weeks in advance!
For even more opportunities to visit, play, and learn, we offer these additional low-priced options:
Denver Botanic Gardens On York Street
When: January 21, February 18, March 22, April 14, June 4, July 10, September 3, November 11
Step into a natural paradise and experience over 24 acres of plants from those that thrive in Colorados climate to gardens that are internationally inspired. Its a great way to spend an afternoon, thinking and appreciating all that nature has to offer!
Psst if you visit on May 10 or 11, you can gain free access to both the gardens and the Spring Plant Sale.
You May Like: Nascar Museum Daytona Beach Florida
Museum And Cultural Passes
Library passes are offered in limited quantities by participating institutions. Many also offer free days and other low cost options for community access.
Reservations may be booked 2 weeks in advance. A library pass does not guarantee entry. Registration processes vary by institution and additional registration steps for timed entry may be required. Please see instructions for each institution below.
Free Days At Plains Conservation Center
Free Days at Plains Conservation Center are a joint effort by Denver Botanic Gardens and the City of Aurora. Advance registration is not required.
Thursday, Jan. 20, 10 a.m. 3 p.m.Thursday, Feb. 17, 10 a.m. 3 p.m.Saturday, March 19, 10 a.m. 3 p.m.Thursday, June 16, 9 a.m. 2 p.m.Saturday, July 23, 9 a.m. 2 p.m.Thursday, Aug. 18, 9 a.m. 2 p.m.Saturday, Nov. 19, 10 a.m. 3 p.m.Thursday, Dec. 15, 10 a.m. 3 p.m.
Throughout the pandemic, we have expanded our free-access programs to special events and for daily admission, including stepped up efforts to distribute thousands of free tickets through community partners. If your community-based organization is interested in helping distribute tickets, please email .
Recommended Reading: Anarchists Guide To Historic House Museums
Grow Young Minds At The Wow Childrens Museum
The WOW! Childrens Museum brings a more hands-on experience than museums with monotonous, boring exhibits. This museum is more interactive and engaging through STREAM-focused exhibitions and programs designed specifically for kids 12 years old and under.
The WOW! Childrens Museum offers an ideal environment to charge your toddlers imagination and creativity. Bring the little ones here to introduce them to science, physics, and survival skills through experiments and demonstrations. This museum is great for toddlers and older siblings!
Chill With Butterflies Sitting In The Palm Of Your Hand
Visiting the Butterfly Pavilion is one of the best indoor activities in Denver.
While the place is not actually in Denver, its only a 15-minute drive from downtown in Westminster, Colorado.
Boasting more than 1,600 butterflies, the Butterfly Pavilion allows you to interact with these delicate invertebrates and even moths and skippers. Have your camera ready to catch the joy on your toddlers face.
Also Check: American Revolutionary War Museum Philadelphia
Colorado Gov Dick Lamm Remembered In Memorial Service Tuesdayyour Browser Indicates If You’ve Visited This Link
Family, friends, colleagues and the Colorado community will honor and remember former Colorado Governor Dick Lamm with a memorial service Tuesday. Lamm, who served a governor from 1975 to 1987, died last month at the age of 85 due to complications from a pulmonary embolism,
KUSA-TV Denver on MSN.com
Denver Museum Of Nature And Science Free Days
- nature and
- Jardin botanique de Montréal | Mount Royal
- free days
- this is a day where the members are allowed to have some free time away from the rehearsal field in pre-determined cities across the United States. The member is allowed to explore the city and museums or just sit and enjoy a long meal where they dont have to clean up.
- On this day, the camp is ‘at rest’. The participants are free to do whatever they want. Most participants choose to make a short trip in the area, either sightseeing a nearby city or hiking/cycling surrounding nature. Others choose to stay back at the camphouse and relax for the day.
- Any day that is not a work day.
- Science is, in its broadest sense, any systematic knowledge that is capable of resulting in a correct prediction or reliable outcome.
- A particular area of this
- a particular branch of scientific knowledge “the science of genetics”
- skill: ability to produce solutions in some problem domain “the skill of a well-trained boxer” “the sweet science of pugilism”
- The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment
- A systematically organized body of knowledge on a particular subject
Recommended Reading: World Of Coca Cola Museum
Hit Cherry Creek Bike Trail For A Family Bike Ride
If it takes an energy-demanding activity to calm your toddlers spirit, then try taking them on a biking adventure at the Cherry Creek Bike Trail.
Beginning in Confluence Park near the South Platte River, the trail passes by the rustic Four Mile Historic Park and the bright and glossy Cherry Creek Shopping Center. Stopping at these destinations can turn your biking adventure into a whole days activity, allowing you to cover three territories in one go.
The trail is approximately 40 miles long with beautiful scenery and more stops, other than those mentioned above, on the way. Pull your toddler in a bike traileror get your tot a balance bikewhich lets little ones push themselves with their feet if they havent figured out how to peddle yet.
Forney Museum Of Transportation
Check the Forney website for current hours.
- Reserve a library museum pass on the date you would like to attend. Timed entry tickets are no longer required. Simply bring your printed pass or display the pass on your mobile device.
- Admission is valid for a party of up to 3, dependent on availability during the desired time slot. Children under 3 do not count towards the reservation.
Colorado fourth graders can register for a free History Buff Membership.
- Reserve a library museum pass for the day of your visit. Check email for confirmation
- Tickets are available on a first come, first serve basis for all members and guests. Time slots may be sold out.
- Library pass holders present the pass at the front desk during check-in.
- Admission is valid for 2 adults and 2 children under the age of 18
Check Mollybown.org for current hours
- Reserve a library museum pass on the date you would like to attend.
- Reserve your timed entry tickets online. Enter the promo code DENVER2021 at checkout. Need help? Call 303-832-4092 ext 13.
- Library pass holders should be prepared to present their library museum pass confirmation at check in.
- Admission is valid for a party of up to 4, space permitting
Check Museo de las Americas for current hours
Check the MCA website for seasonal hours of operation.
- Reserve a library museum pass for the day of your visit
- Each pass admits up to 4 adults.
Where To Stay In Denver With Toddlers
If youre visiting the city of Denver with toddlers, you want to make sure you stay in a place thats safe and close to all the fun. Deciding where to book your accommodation can be tricky so check out this guide on the best area to stay in Denver. Staying in downtown Denver is a convenient option for many families. While a bit pricier than hotels outside the main city center, the downtown area puts you close to a lot of the fun things to do in Denver with toddlers.
Here are a few popular hotels in downtown Denver and around Union Station that have great reviews from other travelers.
You’ve Searched In Airbnb
Find the best travel deals for your next holiday
Denver, Colorado, is most famous for the Rocky Mountains, which create a stunning backdrop against Americas 19th-most-populous city. The capital of Colorado, Denver is also known by its nickname of Mile High City because this metropolis sits exactly 1 mile above sea level. This city was once the hub of Americas Old West and the gold-mining era and has a rich New World history of the wild wild west! Today, Denver is known for its effortless melding of nature and urban sophistication, with its numerous museums and galleries. If you are looking for a break from all the outdoorsy activities that abound in the city, visit Trip101s recommendations for the top entry-free museums in Denver, Colorado, today.
The Money Museum at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, Denver Branch is a museum featuring educational exhibitions on the American currency through the years. Visitors can learn about the American economy through hands-on exhibitions that are suitable for all ages, even kids. At The Money Museum, you can find out how to chart your finances responsibly, check out what American money looked like in the 18th century, and even design your very own currency. Entry is free for all upon presentation of valid US-issued identity or passports for international visitors.
The Money Museum
Recommended Reading: World Trade Center Museum Hours
Enjoy A Picnic At City Park
City Park is a massive grassy area housing two lakes, playgrounds, tennis courts, and picnic areas. During summer, City Park Jazz attracts locals and tourists alike through live concerts. Also on site are more Denver attractions for families, like the Denver Zoo and the Denver Museum of Nature and Science.
The lakes are ideal for water activities in the summer, while the vast greenness of the park offers more than enough space for family picnics. Your little ones will have a joyful day of running around the park and exhausting their energy on the playground.
Boulder Museum Of Contemporary Art
Free days: Every Saturday, year-round, and Wednesdays during Farmers Market Season
This beloved Boulder museum is an essential piece of our citys cultural fabric. Each Saturday, it opens its doors for free to give Boulder residents the opportunity to witness incredible contemporary art exhibits. From interactive displays, performance art, and paintings that offer social commentary on current events, BMoCA is a center for education and engagement.
Denver and Boulder boast numerous museums that excite and educate. From science to art to culture, each offers interesting exhibits on a rotating basis so no two visits will ever be the same. Plan your free visit today!
You May Like: Nc Museum Of History Jobs
Free Days At Denver Zoo
The Denver Zoo Community Free Days allow access during normal admission hours from 10 am to 4 pm in the winter, and 9 am to 5 pm in the summer. The park stays open one hour past these times. This massive wildlife attraction spotlights around 4000 animals and 650 species. Learn more about the Denver Zoo.
Note: Free days will be announced one at a time. Be sure to follow them on Facebook for updates.
Denver Museum Of Nature And Science
When: January 27, February 11, April 28, June 2, August 26, September 29, October 14, November 17, December 8
Officially opened to the public in 1908, the Denver Museum of Nature and Science provides incredibly interesting exhibits, gorgeous IMAX movies and interactive displays. Stop in for a visit and learn how you can help protect our natural world.
Also Check: Field Museum Shedd Aquarium Tickets
Denver Free Days For 202: Free Denver Museums Attractions And More
Denver has some of the best museums and cultural facilities in the country and thanks to the SCFD a small portion of the taxes you pay each year is given to these great institutions. And because of that, they offer free access to Denvers museums and attractions several times of the year. We have worked with the team to gather several dates that are free. With COVID restrictions, always double-check with the venue to see what restrictions are in place and if reservations are required.
Love Denver? Keep exploring with the Essential Denver: Discovery and Exploration Guide Also, scroll down to see our top picks for Denvers best playgrounds, how to rent a Go-Pro and Colorado State Parks Pass for free and Denvers best museums for kids.