Duration Of The Audio Tour
While using Midways audio tour, visitors can choose which section and exhibits they want to stop and explore.
The audio tour lasts two to four hours, depending on the visitors selection.
The audio tour is included with the USS Midway ticket.
Some visitors qualify for free entry into Midway Museum, San Diego. They are:
- Children five years and below
- Two kids under 13 years are free to enter with a ticket-holding adult
- Active military personal with a valid ID
- Active Sworn Law Enforcement with a valid ID
- Active Sworn Fire Fighter with a valid ID
Missions In The 1980s
While transiting the passage between Palawan Island of the Philippines and the coast of Northern Borneo on 29 July, the Panamanian merchant ship Cactus collided with Midway. Cactus was 450 nautical miles southwest of Subic Bay and heading to Singapore when she struck near the carrier’s liquid oxygen plant two sailors working in the plant were killed and three were injured. Midway sustained light damage and three F-4 Phantom aircraft parked on the flight deck also were damaged.
On 17 August, Midway relieved Constellation to begin another Indian Ocean deployment and to complement the Dwight D. Eisenhower task group still on contingency duty in the Arabian Sea. Midway spent a total of 118 consecutive days in the Indian Ocean during 1980.
On 16 March 1981, an A-6 Intruder from VA-115 aboard Midway sighted a downed civilian helicopter in the South China Sea. Midway immediately dispatched HC-1 Det 2 helicopters to the scene. All 17 people aboard the downed helicopter were rescued and brought aboard the carrier. The chartered civilian helicopter was also retrieved from the water and lifted to Midway‘s flight deck.
Safety Is Our First Priority
The safety and well-being of our guests and team members remain our highest priority.
- Per the CDC, face masks are required on transportation services.
- Clear plexi panels have been installed at ticket sales depots and between the driver and guests.
- Our vehicles are cleaned between each tour at key touch points with an EPA-approved disinfectant.
- All of our vehicles undergo a deep cleaning procedure.
- Were enhancing our cleaning procedures at our sales depots and encourage guests to use cashless transactions.
- We provide face masks to our team members.
- Guests are required to wear face covering aboard the trolley and within 6 of others.
- Our cleaning practices meet or exceed all CDC guidelines.
Old Town Trolley Tours is taking enhanced safety and health measures for the benefit of our guests. Inherent risks to COVID-19 exist in any place where people are gathered. By using our services, you voluntarily assume all risks rising out of or resulting from exposure to COVID-19 or any other communicable illness.
In accordance to the Public Health Service Act and 42 Code of Federal Regulations 70.2, 71.31. 71.32, all guests and personnel must wear a mask while waiting at a boarding location in addition to wearing a mask while on tour. For additional information on the regulation or how to wear a mask, please see the links below.
9am 5pmLast tour departs Old Town at 3pm finishing up approximately at 5pm.
9am 6pmLast tour departs Old Town at 4pm finishing up approximately at 6pm.
Recommended Reading: National Museum Of Art Washington Dc
San Diego Old Town Trolley Tours
Hop aboard one of our trolleys and youll experience Transportainment, a delightful combination of transportation and entertainment. Our friendly conductors narrate the San Diego tour with a fascinating and fun mix of trivia and humorous stories. It will be our pleasure to guide you through the birthplace of California on one of our orange and green trolleys.
Old Town Trolley Tours is the best way to see the city. Because we showcase the best of San Diego and Coronado, you can avoid costly parking and city driving. The tour is also designed so that you can hop on and off and explore on your own at any time. With frequent pickups at all our stops, this helps you avoid walking long distances.
Uss Midway Museum Tickets Prices Discounts Free Entry What To See
USS Midway is an aircraft carrier that served in the United States Navy for 47 years, and till 1955 was the largest ship in the World.
Today, USS Midway is a museum in San Diego, a tribute to the Battle of Midway, which happened in June of 1942.
The Midway Museum receives more than one and a half million visitors annually.
In this article, we share everything you must know before buying your USS Midway tickets.
You May Like: The National Wwii Museum New Orleans
What To Know Before Visiting
Visiting the USS Midway Museum involves a lot of walking, stair climbing, and bending. Thats because this WWII-era U.S. Navy ship has very narrow stairs, low ceilings, and cramped hallways that may pose unique challenges for some visitors. That said, there are several elevators, and about 60% of the exhibits are wheelchair accessible.
The sights on the USS Midway that are most popular with visitors are deep inside the ship, far from natural light, wind, or other weather. Dont skip a visit if you happen to be in San Diego on one of our rare drizzly days.
As mentioned above, the flight deck on top is one of the biggest draws. It is totally open to the sky, and accessible no matter what the weather. Bring some sun protection if you plan to spend time here .
Its a good idea to wear layers when youre visiting the USS Midway Museum. You might want a hat or a cover up when youre exploring the flight deck and its nice to be able to take off a layer when you check out the cramped hot quarters below.
What You Can Expect
Your ticket purchase includes the following experiences:
- Hangar Deck and Flight Deck tour routes will showcase Midways exclusive collection of more than 30 restored Navy aircraft and the incredible views of San Diego Bay.
- World Famous Midway Volunteers will bring the flight deck alive with talks on launching and landing aircraft and the adventures of life at sea.
Climb aboard the USS Midway, known for serving in both Operation Frequent Wind in 1975 and Operation Desert Storm in 1991. Skip the lines with express entry and take the time to explore all the main areas of this famed aircraft carrier, including access to 29 carefully restored aircraft on the flight deck.
Visit the 66 exhibits, each steeped with the sights, sounds, and smells of the Midway‘s past. Step into the massive galley, tour the engine room, and walk through the private sleeping quarters of the sailors. Then head to the 4-acre flight deck to get an up-close view of the F-14 Tomcat and the TBM Avenger.
A day spent on board this floating city allows you to take a journey back in time with the original crew of the Midway. Listen to their voices on the audio tour as they offer firsthand accounts of daily life at sea. In addition, the volunteer docentsmany of whom also served on the Midwayshare their personal stories and anecdotes with you during your day of discovering a piece of American history.
You May Like: Hotels Near Pink Palace Museum Memphis Tn
Dedicated Audio Tour For Kids
Upon entering the USS Midway Museum, one of your first stops will be to pick up a free audio tour player. The players allow guests to take a self-guided tour of the museum, stopping along the way to listen to stories told by some of the sailors who served on the ship.
Kids have their own version of the tour! At the various stops, kids can scan the green portion of the tour. Airman Sam Rodriguez will share information that kids want to learn about! It is the perfect way to keep the kids engaged and learning, without overloading them with too much information.
About Uss Midway Museum
The USS Midway is a retired aircraft carrier now serving as a museum on San Diegos waterfront. During its 47 years of operationincluding a decade as the largest ship ever commissionedthe Midway had around 225,000 sailors serve above and below its decks. Today, visitors can follow in the shoes of sailors and pilots and experience life aboard this city at sea.
- Size: a full aircraft carrier, with 30 restored Navy aircraft and more than 60 exhibits sprawled above and below its deck
- Eye Catcher: WWII planes on the hangar deck, including the SBD Dauntless dive bomber
- Below Deck: galley, sick bay, engine room and everything else that kept the floating city operational
- Museum Guides: docents providing first-hand accounts of life at sea, or an included audio tour narrated by Midway sailors, available in 6 languages
- Don’t Miss: Voices of Midway a 15-minute multimedia presentation on the most important naval battle in WWII for which the ship is named
- Hands-On Activities: full-motion flight simulators climb-aboard cockpits knot-tying demonstrations
- Pro Tip: It takes a while to see everything in the museum most visitors spend threefour hours aboard the carrier
- Special Programs: WWII veteran meet-and-greets on select days. Docent talks on the flight deck describing how to land or launch an aircraft on a carrier
Read Also: Natural History Museum Of Los Angeles
Why Is The Uss Midway Famous
USS Midway is best remembered as being a legendary aircraft carrier of the first decade of the 21st century. A construction phase that started after the climactic Battle of Midway on June 1942, Midway arrived on September 10, 1945, and didnt serve in World War II until nearly two months later. The trials success became the first attempt to develop a weapon used to launch a missile at sea.
Uss Midway Museum Travel Tips
- The USS Midway is docked on the San Diego waterfront between the voyage boat terminal and Seaport Village.
- USS midway museum parking is available on Navy Pier.
- 60 percent of the Museums exhibits are wheelchair accessible.
- An American Sign Language tour and written audio tour script is available for people with hearing disabilities.
- Trained service animals are available at the museum.
- Accessibility Video Tour are available at Flight Deck, Hangar Deck and Second Deck.
- The museums photo team will help you click a memorable photograph. Choose from various backdrops and take home a beautiful Midway Souvenir Photo.
You May Like: Kansas City Museum Of Illusions
Short On Time Pin It For Later
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we may receive a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Some of the information about the attractions and locations below may have changed due to new safety regulations. Please contact the location for the most up-to-date information.
Our Thoughts On Visiting The Uss Midway Museum With Kids
We loved visiting the USS Midway! The kids were amazed and in awe of all the aircraft onboard. They loved climbing in some of the planes and helicopters and pretending to be a pilot.
They especially loved all of the mannequin displays throughout the ship. Their favorite was in the bathroom! Youll know it when you see you see it.
Lastly, they were SO PROUD to become Junior Pilots and take the oath to earn their wings. Your kids will love this floating museum too! We highly recommend visiting the USS Midway Museum on your next visit to San Diego.
You May Like: Miami Children’s Museum Volunteer
Exhibits At Uss Midway
Buckle up and prepare yourself for the sights of a lifetime at USS Midway! Experience the surreal feeling of getting to see these awe-inspiring aircraft face to face with your USS Midway discount tickets!
Hangar Deck Exhibit
Flight Deck Exhibit
Do you have what it takes to walk up and touch the fighters, bombers, and helicopters that took naval aviation into the jet age?
Come and find out with your discount tickets from FunEx!
Below Decks Exhibits
Tour where the crew lived aboard the ship! Walk through the galley, midway chapel, wardroom, sick bay, and more!
All is accessible to you with your USS Midway tickets!
You can explore five more exhibits at USS Midway with your discount ticket too! To see what else is in store for you, click here!
Frequently Asked Questions about USS Midway :
USS Midway Museum Tickets
Uss Midway Museum In San Diego
- Cost: $40 per person . Credit card is required to guarantee reservation. Cancellation policy is passengers must cancel 10 days prior to tour date.
Admission Fees: $13 for Adults, $10 for Senior / Retired Military with I.D., $7 for children and FREE for Active Military with I.D.
- Pickup Location & Time: Bus departs from Palm Desert at 8:00am from the T-Mobile cell phone store parking lot . Physical Address is 34260 Monterey Ave, Palm Desert 92260. Need to arrive 15 minute prior to departure.
- Tour Information:
Bus will arrive at 10:30am at the USS Midway Museum in San Diego. You will spend approximately 4 hours at the Museum. The bus will depart the museum at 3:00pm.
On board the USS Midway, enjoy your self-guided tour of 60 exhibits throughout the historical aircraft carrier and 25 restored aircrafts. Visitors to the USS Midway Museum enter a floating city at sea and walk in the footsteps of 225,000 Midway sailors who served our country and upheld the American ideals of strength, freedom and peace.
For more information on the USS Midway museum www.midway.org
Recommended Reading: Bible Museum In Washington Dc Tickets
Is Uss Midway Museum Free
3.9/5freeUSS Midway Museumabout it here
Admission gate closes at 4pm. Admission: $18 adults, $15 , $10 . Private vehicle parking on Navy Pier is $10 for four hours.
Secondly, is there food on the USS Midway? The Midway Marketplace is centrally located on the Hangar Deck. This self-service bistro offers high-quality pre-made sandwiches, entrée salads, side dishes, desserts and a wide assortment of snacks for the whole family. Enjoy an assortment of refreshing alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and hot coffee.
how long does the Midway Museum take?
The USS Midway Museum admission fee includes a self-guided audio tour that is narrated by former sailors on the ship. The tour takes visitors to about 60 locations. If you were to visit all the locations, it would take about 3 hours, but most people pick and choose the locations that they find most interesting.
What is there to do at the USS Midway Museum?
Things to do near USS Midway Museum
- 0.19 mi. San Diego Harbor Excursion. Ranked #25 overall in San Diego things to do.
- 0.19 mi. Hornblower Cruises & Events.
- 0.08 mi. Unconditional Surrender.
- 0.15 mi. Flagship Cruises & Events.
- 0.16 mi. Broadway Pier.
- 0.1 mi. A national salute Bob Hope and the military.
- 0.1 mi. USS San Diego memorial.
- 0.84 mi. Gaslamp Quarter.
Uss Midway Museum San Diego
There are 60 areas to explore in the USS Midway Museum, including the sleeping quarters, engine room, radio room, galley and war room, and the museum houses a wide array of aircraft some that you climb into for a great hands-on experience. There are also several museum docents youll have the chance to meet throughout the USS Midway, who help bring the carrier to life with their own experiences and anecdotes.
Admission includes a self-guided audio tour, narrated by USS Midway sailors, that takes you through the 60 exhibits and altogether lasts 3 hours. You can choose which locations to visit in the aircraft carrier museum, however, so the length of the tour depends on the visitor. There is also a family audio tour that has been tailored to children, following Airman Sam Rodriguez through more than 30 locations on the carrier.
We didnt use an audio guide during this visit, but I have used one on a previous visit to the USS Midway San Diego, and its fascinating to listen to the sailors stories about what life was like on this floating city on the sea as you move through the various rooms.
Also Check: Asian Art Museum San Fran
Uss Midway Museum Hours And Admission
The USS Midway Museum is open every day except for Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. Entrance to the museum is available from 10 am until 4 pm. The museum officially closes at 5 pm.
Admission to the USS Midway Museum ranges from $12-$26, depending on age. If you purchase your tickets directly from the USS Midway website, you will receive discounts on other activities in the vicinity.
If you are planning on visiting other San Diego-area attractions, consider purchasing a Go City San Diego Card. You can receive a discount of up to 20% off the price of admission if you have two or more activities. Or up to a 55% discount by purchasing a 1-7 day card. .
Reasons To Visit The Uss Midway Museum With Kids
Have your kids ever dreamed of piloting their own jet or helicopter? Are they obsessed with all things airplanes? Then they will love the USS Midway Museum, a retired aircraft carrier in San Diego, California. At 968 feet in length , this historic ship houses over 30 aircraft and more than 60 exhibit areas. More than enough to keep your kids entertained while you explore and learn! Are you considering a visit to the USS Midway on your next San Diego vacation with kids? I think you should! I share my five main reasons to visit the USS Midway Museum with kids below!
You May Like: American Museum Of Natural History Membership